9.21.2011

How babies come out....according to preschoolers

Since I found out I'm pregnant things like sleeping, resting, being emotional and nesting have come before my blog. Sorry about that. I do have a list of posts I'd like to complete before Rosie (Yes, we are having a girl and her name will be Rosie Noella) comes. No promises. But I'll try.

Anyways, being visibly pregnant sure has stirred up lots of questions about how babies are born. Mrs. Wimberly and I like to keep it simple in our responses or turn the questions around on them. For example, when asked "How will the baby get out?" We like to respond by saying "Through a small opening in the body." Usually that's enough for their curious little minds and they run off to something new. 

But recently that WAS NOT the case with one of our little girls. I gave her my usual answer, and she was quiet for second. Then she asked "But where is the opening?" I said, "That's a good question that you should ask your mommy." Still not satisfied, she questioned further, "But do you know where it is?" Smiling at her consistency, I answered "Yes I do." "Is it the same as my mommy's?" "Yes, it's the same for all mommies." And then motioning her hands in circles she said, "Well can you just tell me what area of your body it is?" I was very impressed but told her she had to ask her mommy. Normally, I don't get the 2nd degree about how babies come out (from this age group) but this preschooler was something else.

Here are some my favorite answers when it comes to me turning the question on them:

"I think she's just going to crawl out of your throat"
"She will come through here (points to knee)"
"The doctor will just cut your tummy and take the baby out and then sew you back up" (Yea, easy for you c-section moms to explain!)
"The doctor will unzip your back and then take the baby out and zip you back up"
"She will come through your belly button"

Today one of the preschoolers was seriously concerned for my life when he said: 
"But Ms. Heather I don't want you to die."
"Why do you think I will die?"
"Well if the baby comes out through your eye, then you will die."
"Don't worry. She will not come out through my eye. God will take care of me. He always does what's best for His children."

If it were my own preschooler asking, I may respond with a bit more specificity. That would of course accompany a conversation about how that's "special" information that not all mommies and daddy's want their kids to know-so for now-it's only something to talk about at home. Since they are not my kids, I go about it this way, and at the end of the day let their parents know that they are interested in how babies come out. Seems the safest way to me so far. 

It's been fun being pregnant with the kids. Since Rosie has been kicking more frequently throughout the day, some of the kids have been really excited when they feel her move. I love explaining how God is growing her in my tummy and how she'll come when God makes her ready. Well, stop by again if you all haven't left already. I hope to have some more posts up soon!

1 comment: